Battery Arizona

by kenji SAITO on February 11, 2015

Hiking Battery Arizona

I joined David on an impromptu after work hike to a WW2 bunker. This was a first for me. Hiking in work clothes.

Small hill

Small hill

The most dangerous part was crossing the freeway filled with pau hana drivers going home. Made sure we made eye contact. Road kill didn’t sound appetizing. After that it was a short and rocky climb to the top. Photo by David Concepcion.

Coastal Defense

Coastal Defense

This site once housed one of the aft main 16″ gun turrets salvaged from the USS Arizona that was sunk at Pearl Harbor. Photo by David Concepcion.

Bunkers

Bunkers

David entering the two tiered bunkers.

Light out. Light on.

Light out. Light on.

It was headlamp time. Pitch black conditions. The military long stopped paying their electric bill.

Climbing down

Climbing down

Going down the rabbit hole. Photo by David Concepcion.

Looking up

Looking up

We had to descend 6 ladders that took us down about 120′ below the surface.

Briefing Room

Briefing Room

Meet up for the Zombie Apocalypse. Photo by David Concepcion.

The Dusty Mile

The Dusty Mile

Going down the long narrow corridor that connected assorted rooms. Kicked up a lot of fine dust as well.

Bathroom humor

Bathroom humor

Or was that scatological humor? Photo by David Concepcion.

Fill in the blanks

Fill in the blanks

Missing the cake fresheners. Photo by David Concepcion.

Less claustrophobic

Less claustrophobic

The corridor widened along with the increased dust intake. Hack. Cough. Photo by David Concepcion.

Smokey was here

Smokey was here

Only you can prevent bunker fires. Photo by David Concepcion.

Storage

Storage

This cavernous bunker filled with corridors, levels and assorted size rooms was the largest that we have explored to date. Photo by David Concepcion.

Turret room

Turret room

Entering the turret room that was directly below the top site that once housed the gun turret. Photo by David Concepcion.

Spiral stairs

Spiral stairs

The elevator was not in working order. Photo by David Concepcion.

Ladder to the top?

Ladder to the top?

Locked shut. Photo by David Concepcion.

Chute?

Chute?

Delivery method for the one ton shells to the top?

Another storage room

Another storage room

Possible powder room where they stored the 110 pound silk bags of propellant. Photo by David Concepcion.

Boiler

Boiler

Every bunker needs heat and power. Photo by David Concepcion.

Daylight

Daylight

We saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Photo by David Concepcion.

Out

Out

Squeezing through. Photo by David Concepcion.

All pau

All pau

The bunker exploration was a brief trip back in time and we took lungfuls of dirt home as souveneirs. Post hike meal at Outback. Wait time – 45 minutes. Scratch that. Tex-Mex food at Chili’s. Photo by David Concepcion.

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Jasmin February 17, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Ahhhh I missed this opportunity to see this hike :( Nice pictures Kenji and always keep doing what you doing and thanks for making the blogs!!!

kenji SAITO February 19, 2015 at 5:23 am

Aloha Jasmin,
Thanks and there’s always next time!
Mahalo

Ty February 24, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Hi Kenji,
Been reading and really enjoyed your blog being an avid hiker myself. Do you mind telling me how to get to this hike?
thanks!

kenji SAITO February 25, 2015 at 9:00 am

Aloha Ty,
Thanks for dropping by and glad you enjoyed the blog. I will email you the general directions, but please be discreet about the location as the hiking community in general does not want to advertise this place for many reasons.
Mahalo

Baron March 17, 2015 at 6:16 pm

And this is not even the biggest bunker. But it is still a very adventurous find. Going down those ladders were kinda dusty for me. haha

kenji SAITO March 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Yup, inhaled lots of dust that day. At least I hope that was dust! That other bunker is on my to do list. One day!

Baron March 19, 2015 at 7:09 am
kenji SAITO March 19, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Cool. Thanks for the video link. Have you been there?

Baron March 24, 2015 at 11:24 am

No Comment….LOL…

Brandon May 18, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for posting another awesome hike. My wife and I are planning to hit this one a few weekends from now. Is there a trail to get up that hill, or did you just a pick a spot and go? Also, anyone bother you trying to get into the bunker? Thanks!

kenji SAITO May 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Aloha Brandon,
Thanks. There really is no trail, so if you know the general location, just pick a spot and go. However, I found out later that the thick layer of dust that we were kicking up and inhaling was supposedly asbestos. So just be warned and the bunkers I found out later, sits on private property and there are supposed to be roaming guards.
Mahalo

Brandon May 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I was definitely planning on some sort of respirator. I might try to contact the landowner to see if they’re willing to give permission. Thanks again!

kenji SAITO May 18, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Aloha Brandon,
Cool. Please keep the location a secret as most members of the hiking community doesn’t want it to get famous like how Dead Man Cat’s Walk exploded in popularity and resulted in more stringent restrictions.
Mahalo

Brandon May 18, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Totally understand and feel the exact same way.

jerrie April 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm

hey, that hije looks awesome and a friend was just telling me he heard about it. we cant find the location, is there a way u could fill me in on how to get there?

kenji SAITO April 11, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Aloha Jerrie,
The bunkers as I found out later may be sitting on private property and are probably patrolled by guards and the interiors of the bunkers are layered with asbestos dust, so it would be hazardous to ones health to enter. I would not recommend entering these bunkers. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
Mahalo

HawaiiSunshine October 25, 2016 at 2:00 am

Great photos! Unfortunately, they have locked down all the doors and closed off that little gap in that gate that you guys crawled through. Looks like this adventure is gone :(

kenji SAITO October 25, 2016 at 9:39 am

Aloha Elijah,
Yup that’s what I heard. Locked up tighter than Clinton’s email server. What with all that asbestos dust flying around, it was best to be locked up.
Mahalo

Emily December 4, 2017 at 7:22 pm

How long ago did you do this hike? Was it difficult to find and enter? Would you recomend? What materials would you bring if you were doing this hike for the first time? Also do the police try and stop anyone who does this hike? Just let me know!! Thanks!!

kenji SAITO December 4, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Aloha Emily,
It was over two years ago that we ventured below the surface. It wasn’t that difficult to find if you know the general location. However, with that said, the place is now locked up and not accessible as a result. There is also a thick layer of asbestos dust that coats the floors and is not safe for human inspection.
Mahalo